Spicy Chicken Sausage with Orecchiette
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
– 1 link spicy italian chicken sausage (you can use more if you want, but this was plenty)
– 1/2 red onion, sliced in 1/2in slices (should be petals)
– 1/2 red pepper, sliced in 1/4in slices
– 3 – 4 kale leaves, trimmed and sliced into thin ribbons (think a large chiffonade)
– 1 – 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 1 – 1 1/2 cups orrechiette pasta (I didn’t have rigatoni, but that would work too, maybe better)
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 1/4 cup non-fat greek yogurt
– 1 tsp cornstarch + 2 tsp water (mixed together)
– 2 tbsp capers
– 2 tbsp chiffonade basil
– Asaigo cheese to top
1. Heat a large skillet on medium heat with a touch of oil. Add chicken sausage and begin to cook on all sides. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
2. While sausage is cooking, heat saucepan with salted water and bring to a boil.
3. Remove sausage from pan (sausage should be underdone)
4. Add in a little more oil and then red onion. Saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes, add in red pepper and sausage. Continue to saute until pepper is tender and onions are translucent, about 4 more minutes.
5. Add in pasta to boiling water.
6. Remove sausage again and let cool.
7. Add in kale and garlic and saute lightly for about one minute. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add in broth, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer
9. Slice sausage on the diagonal, and add to broth and vegetables
10. Cook on simmer for 5 – 7 more minutes until reduced by a quarter
11. Meanwhile, drain pasta reserving some of the cooking liquid (should be al dente)
12. Add in pasta to broth sauce.
13. Fold in yogurt and stir to combine
14. Fold or stir in cornstarch liquid until desired consistency (should coat the back of a spoon and stick to the pasta)
15. Finish with capers, basil and asiago